Canadian born abroad

If you have a Canadian born abroad then there is a process for this. This falls under the Citizen by descent [paragraph 3(1)(b)] for Citizen’s date of birth being on or after February 15, 1977. This  falls under Paragraph 3(1)(b) sets out that a person is a Canadian citizen if that person is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after February 15, 1977. Persons born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009.

Canadian born abroad

Aside from a few exceptions described under subsection 3(5), the amendments to the Citizenship Act introduced on April 17, 2009, now generally limit citizenship by descent to persons who are born to a Canadian parent abroad in the first generation. Since April 17, 2009, a person who is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent is automatically a Canadian citizen by birth only if that person is of the first generation born outside Canada.

To register a Canadian born abroad

Gather the necessary documents: You will need proof of the child’s birth abroad, such as a birth certificate issued by the local authorities, and proof of the parents’ Canadian citizenship, such as a Canadian passport or citizenship certificate.

Submit the registration application: You can submit the application to the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consular office. Alternatively, you can send the application by mail to the Centralized Processing Office (CPO) in Canada.

Pay the fees: There is a fee for processing the registration application. You can check the current fee and method of payment on the Government of Canada’s website.

Wait for processing: The processing time for a registration application can vary depending on the workload and location. However it can take several months. You can check the status of your application on the Government of Canada’s website.

Receive the certificate of citizenship: Once the application has been approved. You will receive a certificate of citizenship for the child. This document serves as proof of the child’s Canadian citizenship and can be used to apply for a Canadian passport.

It is important to note that there may be specific requirements for your situation. This depending on the country where the child was born. The parents’ citizenship status, and other factors. For more information, it is best to consult the Government of Canada’s website or speak with an immigration lawyer. See more on Canadian consular services.



error: Content is protected !!